Monday, February 21, 2011

"better than perfect"


When I see sunsets such as this captured in Kohler, Wisconsin, I'm taken back to a magical summer day on the lakefront shores of Saint Joseph, Michigan when a family friend with the initials KGB (middle name: "Genuine") coined the phrase that has inspired this entry.

As my friend Kyle and I were taking in the last flashes of the sun's brilliance after a day of recreation amongst family and friends, with the sun on the verge of piercing the horizon over an eerily still Lake Michigan, Kyle said, "It's perfect."

I turned to Kyle and smiled as if to say, "Exactly!" but no words were necessary.  At this precise moment, KGB, a man whose wisdom and intellect are only exceeded by his character, abruptly intervened, shaking his head: "No Kyle, it's BETTER than perfect!"

Kyle and I stood and stared at each other frozen in disbelief.  I suppose we were both mystified over the concept of exceeding "perfection."  Was this even possible?

Now I, myself, am a firm believer that while striving for perfection is a noble quest, achieving perfection is simply unattainable (at least in this life form) and therefore a fruitless pursuit.  Unless of course, you're referring to a purely objective statistical matter, such as the percentage score on a multiple choice examination.  Standardized test scoring aside, I now know that the concept of "better than perfect" is fully attainable at any given moment in time.  How you ask?

Because I have seen it with my own two eyes and lived it with the entire essence of my being.

So I leave you with the "better than perfect" sunset that two friends may well never forget...

No comments:

Post a Comment